Manchester United are willing to allow Mason Greenwood to leave on a free transfer, talkSPORT understands.
Lazio are the club most interest in signing the Old Trafford outcast while Besiktas have also looked at the player.
Mason Greenwood will be allowed to leave for nothingGetty
The club announced on Monday that the suspended 21-year-old will leave the club following his arrest in January 2022.
Greenwood hasn’t played for the Red Devils since he was arrested on suspicion of rape, assault and making threats to kill.
Erik ten Hag’s side subsequently launched their own internal investigation after the CPS dropped all charges against him in February 2023.
And he has now been told that he has no future at Old Trafford, with United weighing up whether to sell him, offload him on loan or rip up his contract which has two years left.
Along with Besiktas, Roma had been linked with a move, while Al Ettifaq and an unnamed Albanian side had also been named as reported targets.
However with Lazio holding the most substantial interest, it remains to be seen if Man United’s willingness to let him leave for nothing will prompt a formal offer before the transfer deadline passes.
The Premier League giants revealed their plans for Greenwood in a lengthy statement on August 21, which read: “Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood.
“Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped.
Greenwood has not played for Man United since January 2022Getty
“Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible.
“This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.
“Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged.
“That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.
“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United.
“It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”