Everton are currently preventing Demarai Gray from joining Al-Ettifaq, according to talkSPORT. Gray, who joined Everton from Bayer Leverkusen in 2021, has not played for the Toffees this season. Al-Ettifaq, managed by Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard, were close to finalizing a deal for Gray and were willing to pay around £7 million. However, Everton informed them on Saturday night that they were not willing to sell. Gray expressed his frustration on social media, stating that Everton lacks respect for him as a person. However, talkSPORT’s Saudi Pro League correspondent clarified that Gray’s message was not a direct reaction to Everton’s decision regarding Al-Ettifaq.
Gray is eager to move to the Saudi Pro League side and discussions for a three or four-year contract are underway. Al Shabab also showed interest in the winger, but due to their frustrations with Everton, they have withdrawn their offer. Unless Everton agrees to let Gray leave within the next 24 hours, Al-Ettifaq is now considering a move for Wolves winger Daniel Podence. Podence has been given permission to leave Molineux after completing his fourth season at the club.
After Everton’s 2-2 draw against Sheffield United, manager Sean Dyche was asked about Gray’s uncertain future. Dyche mentioned that Gray’s fitness, ability to play in the team, and the surrounding circumstances contributed to the situation. He hopes that clarity will emerge in the next couple of weeks and that Gray will focus on getting fit.
Gray has made 75 appearances for Everton, scoring 12 goals and providing 6 assists across all competitions. In other news, talkSPORT has introduced a new match center where football fans can stay updated with the latest fixtures, results, and standings. The match center includes Premier League fixtures, the Premier League table, all fixtures and results, and all league tables.
English Premier League club Everton have reportedly blocked their winger Demarai Gray from making a move to the Saudi Pro League team Al Ettifaq. Gray, who had been strongly linked with the move in recent days, has now released a statement on Instagram saying that the transfer has been blocked.
Gray said he was extremely disappointed at the decision and that he was looking forward to a new challenge. He also said that he was grateful to his former club Leicester City for the opportunities they had given him and that he had loved his time at the King Power Stadium. Gray further stated that he wanted to thank the fans, players and staff of Everton for the support they had provided during his short stint at the club. He wished them all the success for the future.
The English international joined Everton from Leicester last summer and made 19 appearances in all competitions for Carlo Ancelotti’s side during the 2020-21 season. His contract with the Merseyside club was set to expire in the summer of 2022, however, the Toffees have blocked his move to the Arabian Gulf League due to the fact that his transfer fee would be far less than his true market value.
With Everton unwilling to lower their asking price for Gray, the 24-year-old now looks set to remain with the club for the 2021-22 season. The winger will now hope to see more first-team action under Ancelotti, who will be looking to build on his side’s 10th-place finish during the 2020-21 campaign.