Friday, September 29, 2023

Arsenal score two goals in stoppage-time as Manchester United left stung by VAR

Arsenal pulled off a stunning comeback against Manchester United, scoring two goals in stoppage time to secure a 3-1 victory at the Emirates Stadium. Both teams entered the match undefeated, making it a highly anticipated clash early in the season.

In the 27th minute, United took the lead with a goal from Marcus Rashford, but Arsenal quickly equalized through Martin Odegaard just a minute later. The first use of VAR came when Arsenal’s Kai Havertz went down in the penalty area, initially resulting in a penalty. However, referee Anthony Taylor reviewed the decision on the screen and overturned it.

The second half promised an exciting finish, and United fans believed they had secured all three points when Alejandro Garnacho scored, sending the away supporters into jubilation. However, VAR intervened and ruled Garnacho slightly offside during his run.

Taking advantage of this let-off, Arsenal scored the crucial second goal deep into stoppage time. Rice controlled a high ball from a corner, adjusted his balance, and fired a shot that beat Andre Onana. It was Rice’s first goal for the club since his £105 million move from West Ham, and it could prove to be significant in his career development.

United pushed for an equalizer in the dying moments, but Arsenal delivered the final blow. Substitute Gabriel Jesus raced through on goal, cut inside, and calmly slotted the ball past the helpless Onana.

This victory extends Arsenal’s unbeaten run, while United have already suffered two defeats this season.

In addition to the match report, there is an article-boxout section titled “The new talkSPORT match centre.” It provides information on how to stay updated with the latest football fixtures, results, and standings. The article-boxout includes links to Premier League fixtures, the Premier League table, all fixtures and results, and all league tables.
In a dramatic turn of events at Old Trafford, Arsenal swiped all three points in dramatic fashion with two goals in stoppage-time as Manchester United were left stung by a controversial VAR decision.

The Gunners had trailed the Reds for much of the match, allowing Marcus Rashford to make it two goals from his spot kick at the start of the second half. But, just when it looked like the home side would take the win, frustration began to mount around the stadium as the Video Assistant Referee overruled a penalty call that could have earned the away team a share of the points.

The VAR denied Arsenal’s late appeals to tie the score 1-1 and bombarded the away team with a barrage of protests following the decision. But VAR’s frustration was short lived, as the Gunners made the most of the opportunity to turn the game upside down with two goals in the dying moments of the match.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was the first to strike, smartly beating his defender and powering a shot past the United keeper to even it all out at one goal each. Then, in injury-time, a well-executed team move found Alexandre Lacazette in front of goal. His late strike was enough to give Arsenal the victory, leaving the home side stunned by the VAR’s announced decision.

The result sees Arsenal climb to third place in the Premier League, while Manchester United miss the chance to move above Chelsea into the top four.

Although the result might have come as a relief to Arsenal, with their Champions League spot now more secure, this victory might not live in the memory of the club for long. As the issue of VAR implementation continues to be a thorny issue for the Premier League, the controversy surrounding this result may be remembered for much longer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *