Brighton are hoping to pull off the statement signing of Barcelona forward Ansu Fati, talkSPORT understands..
Fati, who was once tipped to be Lionel Messi’s successor at the Camp Nou, was linked with a loan switch to Tottenham earlier on Wednesday.
This is a major coup for the SeagullsGetty
But the 20-year-old forward could now join the Seagulls with manager Roberto De Zerbi said to be a key driver in the negotiations.
Fati has fallen out of favour at Barca under Xavi, featuring in just 47 minutes of LaLiga action this season.
It’s reported that Barcelona want 100 per cent of Fati’s wages covered by any team that takes him on.
Spurs entered the race to sign Fati on Tuesday as Nottingham Forest were demanding £50million for main target Brennan Johnson. It was also reported that Fati had been offered to Chelsea.
However, Brighton come in with something that neither Spurs nor Chelsea can offer this season – European football.
Brighton will play in Europe for the first time in their history after sealing qualification to the Europa League with a sixth-placed finish in last season’s Premier League.
The south coast club have been busy in the transfer window this summer, including the signings of Joao Pedro and James Milner. They’ve also banked just shy of £200m through the sales of Moises Caicedo, Alexis Mac Allister and Robert Sanchez.
But the acquisition of the highly-rated Fati would send out their strongest message yet that they’re looking to progress.
Brighton boss De Zerbi is said to be key in Brighton’s approach for FatiGetty